Recipes from Eko Tuni handbook

Tags: Food

Author: Song Tran

3 ONE-POT EASY VEGAN RECIPES

Are you ready for an Asian-spirited vegan food tour? You just need a pot and a spatula and you’re good to go!.

VEGETABLE CURRY
Ingredients:
1 onion, cut into square shapes
1 red pepper, cut into square shapes
1 eggplant, cut into cubes
1 broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 shallot, finely chopped or minced
Yellow curry powder
Paprika (optional)
Coconut milk
½ cup of water
1 cup of almond milk (or any other plant-based milks that you prefer)
Salt
Sugar (or any other sweetener)
Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)

Cooking:
- Put some oil into the pot (or a big pan) and warm it up over medium to high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add minced (chopped) shallot and stir for a while.
- Then, add onion and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- After that, add broccoli, red pepper and eggplant.
- Pour a bit water into the pot to prevent burning.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the vegetables cook for 3 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, if you want, preparing some toppings or garnish such as coriander or sliced red chili.
- After 3 minutes, lower the heat to medium-low.
- Open the lid and add coconut milk. You can decide how much coconut milk should be put in depending on your preferences, how much coconut fatty you want it to be.
- Stir over to make sure that coconut milk is blended.
- Add almond milk and continue to stir.
- When you see the soup is boiling, it’s time to add curry powder and seasonings (salt and sugar).
- As a final touch, add some paprika (optional) for the spicy favor.
- When everything is already well-cooked, softened and fragrant, remove from the heat and pour to the bowl.
- Decorate your dish with some corianders and/or sliced red chili.
- It can be served with rice, quinoa or even bread. Bon appétit!
See more: Rice mixed kidney beans, the one that can go with any other dish.

Veggie curry

More toppings? Why not!
- Feel free to add tofu or sweet potato. It tastes amazing.
- If you’re a pescatarian, trust me, this recipe would be perfect by adding scrimps.

TOFU BRAISED WITH PINEAPPLE AND MUSHROOM
SERVED WITH RICE MIXED KIDNEY BEANS

Ingredients:
- 500g firm to extra firm tofu
- 1 can of pineapple (200g if you use fresh pineapple)
- ½ cup of pineapple juice
- 1 can mushroom (250g if you use fresh mushroom)
- 2 cup (500ml) of rice
- ½ box of kidney beans (150-200g if you use fresh kidney beans)
- 1 shallot/garlic (Buddhists don’t eat garlic in their vegan diets)
- Spring onion, chopped
- Soy sauce (optional)
- Salt
- Sugar (I use brown sugar to create a caramel color)
- Black pepper
- Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)

Cooking:
- Put some oil into another pot (or a big pan) and warm up over medium to high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add shallot (or garlic) and stir for a while.
- When shallot is slightly scorched, add pineapple and stir.
- Add pineapple juice (and just a little bit of water if needed) to prevent burning.
- Then, add tofu. Don’t use too much pressure while you stir the food, otherwise the tofu can be crushed. That’s why we should use the firm to extra firm tofu.
- Stir fry the food until tofu is brown up all sides. Tongs will be helpful in flipping the tofu.
- Add mushroom and continue to stir everything up for about 3 minutes.
- Now, this is my favorite stage: seasoning the food. As an Asian, I can’t live without soy sauce, but salt is okay too, then add some brown sugar to create a nice caramel color. Of course, some black pepper. Toss to coat.
- With the final touch, I sprinkle some spring onion on top. So, we have a very fresh lovely green color. You never go wrong with spring onion in Asian-inspired stir fry dishes!

Delicious curry braised

Rice mixed kidney beans, the one that can go with any other dish:
- I use the rice cooker so the process is really quick and simple: pour into the cooker 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of kidney beans (If you use fresh kidney beans, remember to soak the beans overnight so it will be easy to cook), and 2 cups of water. Press the “Cook” button and wait until it turns to “Warm” sign. Voila! It’s ready to serve.
- However, you can cook it with a normal pot as well. The following instructions can be used for basmati rice, but you may have to play around with your stove for that perfectly cooked rice. Rinse the rice well. Use 1.5 times the amount of water compared to rice. So, for example 200 mL of rice needs 300 mL of water. Add salt and bring the pot to boil. Cover with the lid and move to another stove that you’ve preheated to medium low to low heat. Let it cook undisturbed. After about 8 minutes you should have fluffy rice ready to serve!
- You can use any kinds of beans you like. You can also mix 2-3 different beans with rice (I personally love the combination of kidney beans and black beans). But remember: The ratio between beans and rice is 1:1, regardless how many types of beans you use.
- Originally, only rice is enough. However, I mix rice with different kinds of beans to enhance the nutrients, and trust me, it’s delicious.

SOFT CRISPY FRIED TOFU WITH TOMATO SAUCE (ASIAN-SPIRIT)
Ingredients:
500g firm tofu, cut into cubes
3-4 tomatoes, cut into small square shapes
1 shallot (or garlic), finely chopped or minced
Spring onion
Ketchup
½ cup of water
Soy sauce (optional)
Salt
Sugar (or any other sweetener)
Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)

Cooking:
- Fried tofu (Skip this step if you use already-fried tofu) until they are crisped up and brown all sides. See more: How to make tofu perfectly crispy.

- Put some oil into another pot (or a big pan) and warm up over medium to high heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add shallot (or garlic) and stir for a while.
- Then, add tomatoes and stir.
- Add sugar (or sweetener) to neutral the sour taste of tomatoes.
- Pour in some water to prevent burning.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low, cover the pot with a lid and let the mixture cooked for 3-5 mins. Add more water if needed.
- Open the lid, add tofu and ketchup, then stir.
- Seasoning with soy sauce/salt and a little bit more sugar (or sweetener), depends on your taste, and toss to coat.
- Finally, cut and sprinkle spring onion on top to have some green color.
- Ta-da!! Present the food on your dish. Serve over with rice mixed kidney beans. Easy but yummy, enjoy!

It's crispy!!

How to make tofu perfectly crispy:
- After cutting it into cubes, leave them in an absorbent towel or kitchen paper for 5-7 minutes until drained.
- While frying, shaking/flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, until tofu has a slight crust on each side and has begun to brown up.
- Use more oil. Make sure that tofu will be soaked in oil on the pan.

EASY PINK LENTILS AND ZUCCHINI PUREE
A simple Italian inspired dish. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
400 g of pink lentils
3 zucchinis
1 or 2 garlic clove
2 big spoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil

Cooking:
Rinse the lentils several times with cold water until the water isn’t whitish anymore. They are more digestive then.
Wash and grate the zucchinis. Put them in a pot with the lentils. Add a bit of salt. Add water up to the middle of the pot. Half cover it and cook 20 min gently.
After that, turn off the heat. Add chopped garlic and olive oil. Fresh basil leaves are nice to decorate with when you serve it.
This dish goes very well with fish or just as a unique dish with bread and cheese for example.
Make sure to not add too much water when cooking, as this recipe is a purée, not a soup.

Served as main dish or with fish or bread and nice Italian cheese

More recipes from the Relish Responsibility challenge are available here.